March 20, 2017
Dear FBCD Family,
This week I will briefly highlight several things for us to keep in mind as a church family:
1) Our series on Meanings of the Cross continues this coming Sunday with "The Cross as Miscarriage of Justice." I have deeply appreciated the way you all have leaned in with me as we have explored this sacred, terrible, central symbol of our faith.
2) I am excited that my friend Jeff Willetts, now completing his first year as dean of McAfee School of Theology, where I teach, will be preaching Palm Sunday and participating in a Q and A during the Bible Study hour. FBCD has a long partnership with McAfee, has supported McAfee financially, and has welcomed many McAfee students and graduates as interns and staff. I hope many from all sectors of the church will come out to hear from Dean Willetts as he both preaches and lays out his vision for McAfee. Incidentally, Jeff and I went to the same high school at the same time. Oakton Cougars, Classes of 1980 and 1981. Small world!
3) FBU continues apace. I am so grateful for our committed teachers and facilitators. In this round, that is Randall Hampton, Katie Base Roberts, Aaron McGinnis, Kristian Smith, Keith Pierce. Amelia Markham, Theron Clark-Stuart, Bill Fulkerson, Debra Dantzler, Larry Connelly, Rob Stanback, Linsey Addington, Monique Wischusen, Kathryn Hartgrove, Billy Roberts, and Dale Doud (and team). Thank you all!
4) FBU May. Be looking ahead to a special FBU "Maymester." We have five weeks, and I am going to pull everybody together to study the life and work of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Our Young Adult Minister Matt Snyder will assist.
5) Babies and Baptisms. Our next baby dedication will be April 9 in Fresh Start. We will be dedicating Sam Riker, son of Jim and Karla Riker. Our next baptism will be April 30 in Sanctuary. We will be baptizing Jesse Banich. These are always very special occasions.
6) Sanctuary Church? I have been asked to consider affiliating FBCD with the new sanctuary movement. My analysis of the request and what I think our church should and should not do is found in this article, which I posted this weekend here.
Have a wonderful week of loving God and loving neighbor!