Decatur Cooperative Ministry (DCM)
On Sunday mornings throughout the summer, we're drawing attention to the various ways First Baptist Church of Decatur engages in mission both locally and globally. Most recently, we highlighted our partnership with the Decatur Cooperative Ministry (DCM).
Info and Get Involved
Decatur Cooperative Ministry (DCM) is devoted to the mission of helping families facing homelessness settle into safe, stable homes and build healthy lives filled with peace, hope, and opportunity. DCM believes there is a light at the beginning, middle, and end of the tunnel through homelessness and wants to help shine that light. By offering comprehensive services and partnering with other mission-minded people and organizations, DCM helps families prevent, endure, and overcome homelessness.
There are many ways that you can get involved:
- You can volunteer to provide a meal for the families at Hagar’s House, the shelter for women and children;
- You can volunteer to help with evening childcare at Hagar’s House proving the moms time to look for jobs and permanent housing;
- You can volunteer to help women at Hagar’s House create resumes and develop interview skills; or
- You can volunteer to take part in the financial independence classes.
These are just a few ways you could live out your missional calling while serving at DCM. Click here for more information.
FBC Decatur is currently scheduled to provide meals to the women and children staying at Hagar’s House the week of September 2-8, 2018. If you or your learning group is interested in providing dinner to the residents of Hagar’s House, please contact Carla Stanford (email@example.com) for available times.
- DeKalb County has the fourth largest population of counted homeless individuals in the state of Georgia.
- DCM helps families facing homelessness settle into safe, stable homes and build healthy lives filled with peace, hope and opportunity.
- DCM is the leading homelessness solutions provider for the city of Decatur and DeKalb County at- large .
- DCM offers emergency shelter to household with children in addition, DCM offers Rapid Re-Housing to help literally homeless families gain stability in permanent housing; homelessness prevention to help at-risk family's remain stably housed, a food pantry and many other services to prevent and alleviate the trauma of homelessness.
- DCM envisions a compassionate community that provides pathways for all families facing homelessness and has expanded it's options for housing services to include: Hagar’s House, our emergency shelter; Family House, which offers longer-term transitional housing; and Family Success, which offers permanent supportive housing to chronically homeless families.