In Our Church
We serve in our church.
Within the Christian community called First Baptist Church of Decatur we use the gifts God has given us to serve each other and the guests whom God sends us each week.
seasonal opportunity to help spruce up the fBcd campus
Volunteers—FBCD members and attenders, and folks who participate in the many groups which meet at FBCD—donate a few hours to spruce up the campus and some interior spaces, as well. Look for announcements on this website's News & Events for the next FBCD Workday. We'd love to have you join in.
Welcoming. One of the most important service opportunities at our church is the opportunity to welcome people who come onto this rather large and sometimes confusing campus. The leaders of each welcoming service are listed with their email addresses.
Welcoming on Sundays
- FreshStart Service — this involves arriving at the building early to help set up a welcoming experience for worshipers, greet them warmly when they arrive, and help them with their needs (coffee, child care, bathrooms, etc.) Contact Kaitlin Curtice.
- Porte-cochere door at 10 a.m. — help people find their way to a Bible study for themselves and their children. Direct adult guests to the parlor. Contact Scott Pyron.
- Children’s Ministry desk — Greet families, help guests with registering their children, direct adult guests to the parlor. Contact Dale Doud.
- Sanctuary Service — Welcoming worshipers to the 11:15 service, paying special attention to guests and giving them the information they need. Contact Scott Pyron.
Welcoming at community events
The Conversations Team partners with Georgia Center for the Book to host author talks. Events are at 7 p.m. Volunteers are needed on weekday evenings 6-8:30 p.m. Contact Debra Pyron.
Volunteers man the reception desk in the church front office on weekdays. Volunteers come for 4 hour morning or afternoon shifts. Substitutes are also needed. —Contact Edwina Cowgill.
Worship. It takes a large number of volunteers to help create space for God to touch lives during worship. You are invited to offer your talents.
Other Ways to Serve
Teaching, helping with recreation and fellowships
- With children — Contact Dale Doud.
- With youth — Contact Billy Roberts.
- With adults — Contact Bob Williamson.
- With senior adults —Contact Bob Williamson.
Visiting folks in hospitals and retirement homes
Contact Jim Manley.
Helping to set up chairs, tables, prepare space for use
Contact Edwina Cowgill.
Driving church bus
Contact Randall Hampton.
Prayer ministry through quilts
The Prayers and Squares Ministry, Chapter 840 was stared in February 2009 at First Baptist Church of Decatur. As of July 2014 140 quilts have been distributed. Church members request these quilts for people suffering from illness, grief, depression, and other situations where prayer and concern is needed. Quilters prepare quilts with strings of embroidery thread on the top surface. In a dedication service, the congregation ties knots in the threads while praying for the recipient. The quilt is delivered and the recipient is literally wrapped in the prayers of caring people.